- Never allow young children to handle fireworks
- Older children should use them only under close adult supervision
- Anyone using fireworks or standing nearby should wear protective eyewear
- Never hold lighted fireworks in your hands
- Never light them indoors
- Only use them away from people, houses and flammable material
- Never point or throw fireworks at another person
- Only light one device at a time and maintain a safe distance after lightingRemember sparklers burn at nearly 2000 degrees (the use of which account for 25% of fireworks injuries in children)Safe Disposal of damaged or unused fireworks
- Drowning or submerging the firework in a bucket of water for a specific period of time will render the firework non-explosive. The firework must be soaked right through which may take several hours.
- In order to avoid possible self-heating the fireworks should be totally immersed in a large volume of water and where necessary weighted down to ensure this.
For more information visit the National Safety Council